Thursday, October 23, 2014

::Camping:: 5 Lessons I Hope my Children Learned...

For months now we have been preparing and planning our very first camping trip to Garner State Park since we had our children. This past weekend the camping trip happened. While it was about relaxing, getting away and enjoying the down time; it also served as the perfect moment to reflect. 

I learned that my children are so adaptable and that they don't mind working. The helped build tents, prepare camp fires and packed snacks for our afternoon hike. They were motivated, determined and enthusiastic about all the experiences we were living; some traits that I feel will be useful in their early adulthood and life in general. 

A few things that I hope they learn and carry with them not only now but throughout their life are the following:


:: Never Give Up :: Things in life don't always go as planned. I hope they can always see the positive side and know that they should never give up; no matter how difficult the path maybe. They should always strive to reach their goals, to make it to the top and be the best they can be.

It can be done... 



:: Be Fearless :: I am a big wuss. At 33 I fear a lot mostly because I know the dangers and consequences of most actions. As for my kids, I want them to be fearless. I want them to know the danger and consequences that surround them but at the same time I don't want that to stop them from being who they want to be. I don't want them to be afraid of setting big goals or having even bigger dreams. I want them to know that they can reach any goal and attain all of their dreams.

As they did this weekend. 




:: Technology isn't everything :: Yes. I said it. While camping we did minimal technology. I posted several pictures on Instagram  but that was the extent of Social Media and technology that I did. My kids had their iPads  for the trip but at times, all of that became obsolete as we were too busy enjoying our surroundings and more importantly our company.

Life is ultimately about connecting in-person and with nature, it allows us to reflect not only on the creations the universe has given us but also the blessings that life has bestowed upon us as the years go by.



:: The Stars are Beautiful ::  When we were camping the sky seemed so close and the stars were so bright. Lighting our night and giving us peace. It was amazing. My kids loved looking for the moon and staring at the stars.

Life is too short and the sky should be enjoyed. 



:: Enjoy Life :: Not everything should be about work. Taking a break and enjoying life when possible is such a a great blessing. I want my kids to know that while we should work hard to reach our goals, we should also reap the benefits of our hard work and enjoy life, travel and have fun!

Learning about everything and everyone around us. 





One question that we kept asking our kids while on our trip was; "What is your favorite part of our camping trip so far?" And, both of them answered things that we wouldn't usually do like; "climbing the rocks and big dinosaur mountains." Or "roasting marshmallows and making S'mores on the fire.

As a Momma, this makes my heart happy on so many levels. It makes me feel as if I have somehow accomplished my goal of creating lasting, happy memories that my children will remember for times to come.

What are some lessons you hope your children learn from their experiences as they grow?


No comments: